Re: USR Sportsters and PM3

Karl Denninger (karl@Mcs.Net)
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 18:38:28 -0600

On Fri, Apr 04, 1997 at 06:14:49PM -0600, Beth Montes wrote:
> At 01:16 AM 4/1/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >I've had several customers complain that they're unable to get past the
> handshaking phase when using USR Sportsters (28.8 and 33.6) to connect to
> our brand new PM3. We're running ComOS 3.5.1b8 using T1's instead of PRI's
> (D4 framing, AMI encoding, Trunk E&M wink start signaling).
> >
> >These same customers never had any trouble connecting to our Multitech
> analog modems.
> >
> >It's probably some sort of intialization string problem with the
> Sportsters. Any suggestions?
> >
> >David Cecil
> >davidc@connectup.com
>
> David, we are having exactly the same problem. In addition, we see
> all our users getting across-the-board slower connections than on our
> analog USR MP's.
>
> Open a tech support case with Livingston, ask for the upgrade to
> ComOS 3.5.1b11 (not in open beta release yet). It's supposed to fix
> some of the bugs in 3.5.1b8, but it didn't help us. I'd be very
> interested in knowing if it helps you. I believe Livingston is aware
> of these problems, and is working on a fix, but we're unable to pin
> them down on *exactly* what the problems are, what is supposed
> to be fixed in 3.5.1b11, and when we may see a real, working fix
> to all our problems. If you get any definite info, please email me.
>
> Beth
>
> Beth Montes I-Land Internet Services
> bmontes@iland.net http://www.iland.net
> vx: 816-827-5111 x21 Sedalia, MO

You need a *modem code* fix for this, not a ComOS fix.

Look at how the ComOS load files are structured sometime. It'll make sense
within a few minutes... :-)

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal