Re: ASCEND brain-dead implementation? Or something else

Karl Denninger (karl@Mcs.Net)
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 17:19:49 -0600

On Thu, Apr 03, 1997 at 03:11:00PM -0800, Kevin Smith wrote:
> At 07:44 PM 4/2/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >MPP, and OSPF for routing on our end. No routing on the customer side.
>
> MP....since MPP is Ascend's MP+ (RFC1934)...
>
> >The problem is the timeout on the PM3 interfaces. Since it appears ASCEND
> >is only transmitting on ONE channel, the timeout never gets reset, and the
> >line drops.
>
> Was this sent before the customer fixed the P50 - or is this still at issue?
>
> >My understanding of MPP is that this is broken behavior; you WANT to
> >ping-pong between logical interfaces.
>
> Correct. (Of both MP and MP+).
>

> Kevin Smith Updated Service and Support
> Senior Technical Support Engineer Resources are now at:
> Customer Satisfaction
> Ascend Communications http://www.ascend.com/service

It is no longer an issue, HOWEVER, I would think that an "nvram" rebuild
*should* be automatic on an upgrade, no?

You're going to get a lot of people who get burned by this misbehavior,
since its not at all obvious that there is a problem.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal