Re: USR COURIERS v.everything

Dale Babiy (dale@cybernet.yknet.yk.ca)
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 03:10:14 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Mourat Jamoukhanov wrote:

> Hi, I figure you know allot about USR couriers, I know you can get the
> inf. file from www.usr.com, just have to look around, but I was
> wondering, since you know about COURIERS v.everything, I am thinking of
> buying a 56k one my-self, they're going to out in a month, I want to

OK, this is pretty off-topic, so I'll make it a quick one. Couriers are
the professional-grade modem. For instance, I have a number of
points of access to my WAN that are hundreds of miles out of my main
operations center. Everytime one of them fails, it requires that I send
someone relitively skilled (travel is expensive in the frozen north, and I
won't send someone that I'm not sure will be able to handle the
situation), out for a minimum of 2 days. Call it with travel expenses a
minimum of 1000$ out of my operations budget. One saved trip pays for a
courier. Couriers fail much less often then sportsters, and in general
can be remotely revived more often. Of course in my truly out of the way
sites I go for rackmount, remote maintainable, but that's another story.

Dale Babiy,
Tech Manager,
YKnet

>From the mind of Dale Babiy. -- Who'd else *want* to take credit for my