Re: On-going cost effectiveness of PM3?

Joe Portman (baron@aa.net)
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:52:07 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 23 Nov 1996, Dave Andersen wrote:

> On the other hand, re: buy an Ascend, we did go this route.
> Aside from the 20-fold difference in setup and configuration time
> between the 4004 and the PM3, both boxes seem extremely capable
> and *will* do your job. But I kinda feel like the Livingston will
> have you smiling while you do it, whereas the Ascend will leave you
> combing through a horribly organized 4" thick ring binder that
> they call a manual. In retrospect, I'm fairly glad that Livingston
> didn't release a buggy product, though if you'd asked me that a month
> ago I would have had a very different reply.

Having just installed my third 4004 (for a customer this time), I can tell
you that I've got it down to about two minutes from start to finish.

1. Attach serial cable and set IP address.
2. Set gateway route (if needed).
3. Fire up my editor and modify my _text_ configuration file saved on my
tftp server.
4. Go into debug mode and tload xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx filename
5. Set passwords
6. DONE.

Livingston has yet to allow a nice easy configuration like this. You can
"almost" get there by doing a pmsave and a pmrestore, but not quite.

Just my $.02c, and yes, I do own and operate Livingston products. For
smaller ISP's I even recommend them.

Having your entire configuration in an editable text file is a real dream
for backup and documentation purposes.

Cordially,
Joe Portman - Alternate Access Inc. Affordable, Reliable Internet
baron@aa.net Seattle: (206) 443-3408 Everett: (206) 249-4949
Tacoma: (206) 927-6010 Federal Way: (206) 838-8457
Bellevue: (206) 455-8414 Olympia: (360) 458-7279
Enumclaw: (206) 862-9423 Black Diamond : (206) 288-8809
For free trial account: set modem to 8-n-1, login as "new"
For questions or support, call our voice line (206) 728-9585.