Re: On-going cost effectiveness of PM3?

William Sommers (sommers@sfo.com)
Fri, 22 Nov 96 20:11:22 PST

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996 19:51:59 -0800 DamienT wrote:

> Since then, an IXC has offered us local dialups all over half the
> state at a wonderful rate...provided they can deliver this to us
> over T-1.
>
> So it was bye-bye to PRI and Pac Bell's associated exhorbitant
> pricing...and the PM3...at least for the immediate future.

Exhorbitant? A PacBell PRI is only $580/mo. (and our 25-mile extended PRIs
still run us under a grand) -- dirt-cheap compared to what others are
reporting.

Once we looked at the customer trends towards ISDN (about the last place we
want to be is in a position of inability to provide demanded services) and
the flexibility of PRI, the remote dialtone options, while cheaper, just
didn't make much sense. It takes a mere 2-3 Centrex ISDN customers at each
POP to more than make up the difference, and the returns on PRI will only
increase as folks move to more pricey 56K V.flex2 and ISDN packages.

William Sommers
San Francisco Online
Televolve, Inc.
sommers@sfo.com