Re: 2400 baud support? Get real!

Kris Benson (doctorkb@synaptic.net)
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 13:22:01 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Prof Jake Messinger wrote:

> There was ISA, EISA, Microchannel, VLB (isa extended), then PCI. There
> have been how many advances since 2400? 2400+MNP 5, 9600, 14400, 16800,
> 19200, 21600, 24000, 28800, 33600, etc... Plus all the new modems are
> downward compatible.

I think that that is what we are discussing, though. The PM3 (supposedly)
was (is?) not going to be downward compatible to 2400 baud. As Mr. Suter
was saying, we still have old standards: and they work, so people use
them.

> Why are 3.5" drives still made? What is the alternative? a zip drive at 10
> times the cost?

The price of the alternatives (Zip drives, 3M's new floppy/floptical
(100MB) disk, etc.) would come down proportionate to the demand. If all
new computers started coming with Zip drives, you could bet that the price
of a new Zip drive would drop from its current ~250CAD to ~125CAD after
the first six months or so. Even that is only about five times the price
of a new 3.5" floppy drive.

> Your argument is invalid because you are inferring that we should all be
> using the latest greatest technology regardless of whether or not we could
> afford it. We can ALL afford a 14400 modem (i hope). We cannot all afford
> the best car, a helicopter, etc...

It is not fair to compare the people on this list to the people who would
be purchasing the services. I would expect that most of the people here
have enough desire to purchase that 14.4kbps modem, should they wish it
(and probably have a personal budget for such upgrades to their
computers.) However the public (which purchases our services) probably do
not have that same computer category in their household budget... they
have families to support, other interests, etc. Perhaps they would rather
tack on an extra two inches to that new TV that they are eyeing up than
purchase a new modem.

Besides the point, if someone with the latest and greatest technology
doesn't support the same protocols as their competitors running a system
off of a Digiboard (or similar) and a half dozen No Name brand modems that
*do* support 2400, then their to-be-customers that have a slower modem
could and would go to that competitor.

> > in the garage! Better throw out them Led Zepplin albums...
>
> Now cmon, dont be silly. You are comparing art to technological advances.
> I dont think 2400 baud users operate at 2400 baud for nostalgic reasons.
> They are FORCED to for whatever reason.

"My new computer that I got a year ago came with it... Why do I need
another one?"

> > turntable along with it...
>
> Whats a turntable?

It's why he was referring to the Led Zeppelin records... The *records* are
obsolete, not the music, even though those records may be worth something
in sound quality (apparently, a well-maintained record has better quality
than a CD...) and nostalgia.

--
Kris Benson <doctorkb@synaptic.net> <URL: http://www.synaptic.net/doctorkb/>
                   Webmaster, Junior Systems Administrator