Re: Beta Programs and Selling Out

Todd (todd@livingston.com)
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:49:37 -0800 (PST)

Greetings all...since I was actually involved with selecting the beta sites,
and helped in the first portion of the beta and focus on tech support, I'd
like to say a couple of things too:

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Dan Geiger wrote:

> At 07:17 AM 11/14/96 -0800, you wrote:
> >At 10:09 PM 11/13/96 -0800, MegaZone wrote:
> >
> >>Netcom is a very large network, and when we have new products it makes sense
> >>to test them in a large network environment. We select a range of sites
> >>to test in a wide variety of environments.
> >
> >Well, that explains why only large ISPs such as Netcom, Best and Mindspring
> >were involved in the PM3 beta, rather than any of the smaller folks who
> >frequent this list (although I do recall one positive post here from a
> >staff member of a beta site). So much for non-disclosure. At least nobody
> >posted a bug list (not that there are any). <g>!

The primary goal of beta was to provide engineering with a high confidence
level in the product in as many different environments as possible. Secondary
goals primarily included reducing tech support's exposure to the new
technology and finally, selecting sites for potential sales returns.
The key focus was to produce another solid product.

Originally we decided that we needed approximately 20 sites - 10
domestically, 5 in asia pacific and 5 in Europe. We planned for a two
month beta program, but most importantly, we needed to get beta sites
installed and running immediately. Phase 1 required PRI testing then
phase 2 was DSP testing. We also needed a good cross section of telco's
and switches to get a really good feel for things.

To this end, we actually have a mix of 'big' guys and 'little' guys
and I'd say the 'little' guys have been giving the 'big' guys a run
for their money :). Speaking of money, we also offerred to cover the
cost of a dedicated PRI circuit for the duration of the testing --
wasn't that nice of us and for the little guy especially ;)?

As far as NDA goes, I'd really have to say that the beta crew respected
that understanding fairly well -- as you are all aware, the strategic
importance of this project truly is second to none.

[ cut ]

> >Couple this with an increasing difficulty in obtaining technical support,

Not good enough yet!!? Alright, we'll do more, faster and better.

[ cut ]

Regards..Todd

--
E. Todd Taylor        Livingston Enterprises Inc.   Phone: (800) 458-9966
Support Engineer      6920-220 Koll Center Pkwy.      Fax: (510) 426-8951