Re: Beta Programs and Selling Out

Dan Geiger (dang@livingston.com)
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 11:24:43 -0800

At 07:17 AM 11/14/96 -0800, you wrote:
>At 10:09 PM 11/13/96 -0800, MegaZone wrote:
>
>>Netcom is a very large network, and when we have new products it makes sense
>>to test them in a large network environment. We select a range of sites
>>to test in a wide variety of environments.
>
>Well, that explains why only large ISPs such as Netcom, Best and Mindspring
>were involved in the PM3 beta, rather than any of the smaller folks who
>frequent this list (although I do recall one positive post here from a
>staff member of a beta site). So much for non-disclosure. At least nobody
>posted a bug list (not that there are any). <g>!
>
>Cynicism running deep, I thought it was more because those are the folks who
>buy half a million dollars worth of hardware from Livingston, not because of
>their networks.
>
>Then again, maybe I'm just being hard on the company...but I've been growing
>uneasy with the development of new products when certain promised features in
>the old ones have yet to be delivered.

Damien: What promised features have been waiting for? I'd like to follow
up and give you better status on them.

>Couple this with an increasing difficulty in obtaining technical support,

We've been getting consistent feedback that our significant efforts in
staffing and training tech support has created much improved service. In the
spirit of continual improvement, I'm interested in any recent negative
experiences that you had with tech support so we can try to address.

>a rumor that Livingston is selling out to a venture capital firm very soon,

With 10 years in business, Livingston has never been VC backed. We are also
sound financially, and since VCs generally get involved with cash-strapped
startups, this rumor doesn't make sense. Let's squash it here.

>and I just can't help but to have a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.
>
>In another year from now, I can't help but wonder if Livingston will either
>be a public company or merged with someone bigger.
>
>Obviously this is all just my personal feeling, and not really indicative of
>anything. However, as customers of Cisco and Ascend have made clear, what's
>good for those companies isn't necessarily good for their customers, especially
>the small ones.

Yes our business has grown but our customer focus remains as much in tact as
ever. We are 100% dedicated to helping ISPs succeed (ISPs both small and
big) and are totally committed to continuing to provide you with the very
best, cost-effective, technologically advanced networking products.

>Time will tell I guess.

Yes it will, and I believe you will become even happier with Livingston as
our upcoming products and enhancements make it to market. I think you will
be very pleased with what you see.

Regards, Dan

Dan Geiger
Product Marketing