Re: Is local_ip documented somewhere? (fwd)

Carl Oppedahl (carl@oppedahl.com)
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:14:25 -0500

At 09:44 PM 11/13/96 -0800, MegaZone wrote:

>Once upon a time Carl Oppedahl shaped the electrons to say...

>>The answer (thank you to Livingston tech support!) was to use "set location
>>foo local_ip x.y.z.a". The only thing about this is that "local_ip" appears
>>nowhere in the documentation for the OR, nowhere on the CD-ROM that came
>>with the OR, does not appear in the online help that one receives when
>>connected to the OR, and nowhere (so far as I can see) on the Livingston web
>>site or in the email discussion group archive.

>That was an oversight. It was added at the same time local_ip was added
>to the user table. Somewhere between engineering and docs it was dropped.
>Gryphon, who I believe is the one who handled this, wrote an appnote on it.
>It'll make its way to the web I'm sure.

>I've known about that command for many months now, but when you're reviewing
>documentation it is easy to miss mistakes of omission. Out of sight, out of
>mind. And you're the first user I've actually seen need to use it.

>>So my question is, can someone direct me to a resource, authorized or
>>unauthorized, that tells me all of the undocumented commands of the router
>>software? I have to assume that at some future time, at 2AM when no one is

>Nothing from Livingston, if it is meant to be used by the public it will
>be documented. Sometimes rarely used commands or new additions get missed.
>This is the only instance of that I've seen so far though. Usually the docs
>and appnotes together cover it.

Well, it's actually not so tough to miss mistakes of omission of this
particular type ... you just dump the symbol table and use it as a sort of
checklist that each symbol is discussed. I imagine "ip_local" is right in
there with all the other symbols that your command-line parser checks for
when parsing.

I understand from other postings that Livingston is preparing a Command Line
Reference. Perhaps one last check would make sense, to see if everything in
the symbol table is also in the Reference.

---
Carl Oppedahl, Oppedahl & Larson, patent law firm
http://www.patents.com/ has hundreds of pages of answers to
frequently asked questions on patent, copyright, and trademark law