Re: Livingston ethics?

Brian Rice (bri@whitestone.com)
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:24:02 -0800 (PST)

> Lately I=B4ve read a lot of people bashing different companies
> in these mailing lists, like Ascent a while ago. Well,
> here=B4s another bed time story... Please feel free to=20
> comment.=20

Thank you, I will. BTW, what mailer is it that does this wierd
mapping where <CR> becomes "=20" and ' becomes "B4"? Hateful
application, should be nuked. Ok, on to the comment ...

> Then, before they even have shipped the PM3, they decided
> "Hey, we decided not to sell it to you, just to US. Sorry."

This did not happen. It is a communication error of some kind, but
no way, no how, did anybody at this company (ignore my whitestone.com
mail header, it's just my remote connection) tell you "Hey, we decided
not to sell it to you, just to US. Sorry." At least not in those words.
What, we want to commit international suicide? I don't think so ...

> ???

That's what I want to know - what _really_ happened? I think most
likely you were told of a release delay, or (and this *would* hit
me in ethical question space) of a pricing change for international
customers. I don't know if either of those is the right guess, but
I can definately say that if you heard us make that quote one of two
things is true: We said it wrong, or you heard it wrong. We will
sell it to you, and at it's advertised price - international considerations
notwithstanding.

> WHAT?? They publicly announced their ISP program and prices,
> and even confirmed it by email. And then just decided not to
> sell it afterall. I don=B4t know about US, but here in Finland
> we call that cheating. Yeah, GREAT marketing, but still cheating.

If your facts are accurate then you are correct: cheating, pure and
simple - but I can tell you I've been here too long to believe we'd
cheat you at anything.

> When I first wanted to know about their decision, I was told to
> contact the sales office, if they could come up with something
> reasonable. Well, one sales person claims they have never=20
> published any European E1/E2 ISP prices (not true), and another=20
> claims that the European ISP program has similar prices (not true).

I can't speak to either of those issues, but I would like you to write
me back with your phone number so I can contact you and get this
straightened out.

> I just got the "ISP offer" from the local dealer, let see
> how similar the prices are. Example PM3-E2 with 20 modems.
> I have compared them in Finnish marks, including s&h, customs,
> etc. ($1 =3D 4.6fim)
>
> US List US ISP Local ISP
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>
> 94.000fim 51.000fim 84.000fim

I was unable to make sense of this ...

> So what do you people think about this? Am I unreasonable
> when I feel cheated, and think that Livingstons ethics and
> moral sucks?

Um, it's always reasonable to feel any way you like, but until actual
damage has been done you're not allowed to make judgement calls. :-)

My teasing point being that this company RUNS on solid ethical decisions
and we'll make the right one in this case - take THAT to the bank.

At this point the only thing I can solidly agree with is that we have
a serious communication problem going on and I'd like to handle the
situation before it gets worse.

> Who ever manages this mailing list, please feel free to=20
> forward this to Livingston top guns too. I=B4d really want
> to hear their comment too.

Don't worry, while the list is managed internally, _all_ the top guns
are subscribed and see every message that comes across.

My final comment is a repeat: This is the result of a communication
problem, not one of an ethical or moral issue and it can (and will)
be easily resolved.

--
Bri
Livingston Evangelist (and yes, one of the top guns)