Re: Win95 DNS problem on new PC

John G. Thompson (jgt10@livingston.com)
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 11:47:42 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, Kendrick Myatt wrote:

> Here is something that is a little off topic, so feel free to reply
> to me directly. I have one win95 machine that works great with one
> exception. When logged in to the PM getting PPP and TCP/IP just fine (good
> address, good netmask, pings ok both ways, etc...) I can only ftp, telnet,
> or web browse to an IP address. _NO_ DNS resolving works at all for some
> strange reason. I have removed all networking components and re-installed
> them, checked the DNS and all other TCP/IP configs many times and it is ok,
> winipcfg reports everything right, but there is no resolving. It's set up
> EXACTLY like another machine (which works), the only difference is that the
> screwy one is a brand new Packard Bell. I'm stumped... anybody ever seen
> this behavior?

I've seen this at home with my win95 machine. I tracked it on the win95
and saw UDP host not reachable errors. I'm planning on applying the
kernel32 patch from M$ to solve a socket lose problem. I'll see if that
fixes my DNS problem.

JGT

John G. Thompson Livingston Enterprises Inc. Phone: (800) 458-9966
JOAT(MON) 6920-220 Koll Centre Pkwy. Fax: (510) 426-8951
support@livingston.com Pleasanton, CA 94566 http://www.livingston.com