Re: WfW networking over a portmaster link (fwd)

Gary N. McKinney (gmckinney@megabits.net)
Tue, 05 Nov 1996 07:52:08 -0800

Brian Elfert wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, MegaZone wrote:
>
> > We do not support NetBEUI at all, and have no plans to do so. So if he
> > is going to try to use the old M$ networking that relies on it, he's out
> > of luck. Win95 and WinNT can do networking on TCP/IP (or IPX), but I
> > don't know that WfWG can.
>
> WFWG can certainly do networking over IPX, and I think it can do TCP/IP
> networking with Microsoft's free TCP/IP stack for WFWG. I used the TCP/IP
> stack for a while for Internet access, but never for networking.
>
> Brian

We currently have a client which utilizes WFWG on the workstation PCs and a SCO UNIX
box for their accounting and inventory systems. The WFWG boxes are communicating in
a networked environment using the Microsoft TCP/IP stack without problems ( other
than the resource leak in WIN-3.X/WFWG when switching between DOS and Windows apps -
but is cured by resetting the workstations each morning - and people wonder why PCs
have a reset button, it's really a MicroSoft enhancment! )

gm..

BTW: We are trying to get the client to at least upgrade to WIN-95. At least the
TCP/IP stack is a little more stable and the resource leak is pretty much gone.