Re: Win95 DNS problem on new PC

Jay Moretz (jaymoretz@twave.net)
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 08:12:53 -0500

> From: Kendrick Myatt <myattk@datatek.com>
> To: portmaster-users@livingston.com
> Subject: Win95 DNS problem on new PC
> Date: Monday, November 04, 1996 6:38 PM
>
> Here is something that is a little off topic, so feel free to
reply
> to me directly. I have one win95 machine that works great with one
> exception. When logged in to the PM getting PPP and TCP/IP just fine
(good
> address, good netmask, pings ok both ways, etc...) I can only ftp,
telnet,
> or web browse to an IP address. _NO_ DNS resolving works at all for some
> strange reason. I have removed all networking components and
re-installed
> them, checked the DNS and all other TCP/IP configs many times and it is
ok,
> winipcfg reports everything right, but there is no resolving. It's set
up
> EXACTLY like another machine (which works), the only difference is that
the
> screwy one is a brand new Packard Bell. I'm stumped... anybody ever seen
> this behavior?

Yes. I have. Apparently on the new Packard Bells, The default Windows 95
setup does not install Dial-Up Networking correctly. Some of the systems
come with a patch floppy labeled "Dial-Up Networking" or some such. Or, you
can uninstall (via Add/Remove Programs|Windows Setup) DUN and then
re-install it. This *should* fix your problem. It was like pulling teeth to
get Packard Bell to help us on this with one of our customers. We
eventually had to call the Packard Bell contact listed for InterNIC before
we could even get ahold of anyone who would help us. Hope this works for
you.
Caio!
Jay Moretz

----