Re: OR-M (functionality & opinions)

John G. Thompson (jgt10@livingston.com)
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 11:00:27 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Timothy Deem wrote:

> I'm looking at the OR-M as a potential solution for a customer and
> have a few questions:
>
> The unit has a single async port and a PCMCIA slot -- I'm presuming
> they are both usable simultaneously giving you the potential for a dual
> dial-up connection -- is that correct? Or do they act like the ethernet
> options (BNC/AUI/TP) on the PM's where they are mutually exclusive?

The console port can indeed be used to connect to another modem and
provide simultaneous connetions.

> Regardless of the first question, my second question has to do
> with how the OR-M dial-up connection is established with a PM2ER. Does
> the OR-M have the intelligence built into it to hold the phone numbers,
> logon-ids, passwords, and init strings and it controls the connection? Or
> is there an external source that has to be involved...?

The OR-U has the same functionality as the PM. It can store all of the
location information necessary to dialup and login to a PM or other
terminal server.

> Understanding the availability of assigned static IP addresses and
> even entire class C's to a dial-up async port on the PM2ER based upon
> Radius' authentication (and presuming the answer to the first question is
> "yes, you can do that"), will the OR-M handle the routing between:
>
> 1 Ethernet Port (a unique subnet or class address)

No problem here.

> 1 Async port (an address assigned by Radius)

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean a dynamic IP address
assigned to your OR-U from another dialup service? Doing dynamic IP is
kinda tough. Statics aren't THAT hard, particularly since you already
have a class c on the thernet port. Your ISP should be able to run the
interface unnumbered and use the IP address on your ethernet instead of a
dynamic or static in another class c.

> 1 PCMCIA port (an address assigned and possibly of another
> subnet or class address than the async port)

Same response as for the previous question.

Regardless of what IP addresses are assigned...the OR is quite capable of
routing the network traffic.

> Last question: Of those that are using the OR-M can you please
> respond with your opinions as to how the response is from a network
> situation over a dial-up connection and as to whether you have done what
> I'm asking about or not....?

Dialup network connections incure about a 100ms delay crossing the dialup
connection. The delay can be more if the connection bandwidth is fully
used or overloaded.

JGT

--
John G. Thompson      Livingston Enterprises Inc.    Phone: (800) 458-9966
JOAT(MON)             6920-220 Koll Centre Pkwy.       Fax: (510) 426-8951