Re: traceroute

John G. Thompson (jgt10@livingston.com)
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:50:31 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, John Storms wrote:
> At 09:40 AM 11/1/96 -0800,AAlexander Zatko wrote:
> >
> >Hi John,
> >
> >It is very encouraging to see that Livingston listens and cares about
> >problems of their customers. Thank you.
> >Is it possible that my problem with ftp and e-mail which is described below
> >is somewhat connected with the above mentioned bug in the OS?
>
> No, absolutely not .
>
> >It takes usually over a minute to establish a ftp connection to a host on
> >the Internet from my network. Once I pass the authentication stage, "put"
> >and "get" commands perform as fast as my connection permits. Very similar
> >situation happens when I am retrieving e-mail from my mailbox which is not
> >on my network. The initial phase again takes approximately one minute.
>
> Sounds like connections on TCP port 21 are OK and TCP port 20 is not. Are
> you using a firewall or packet filtering?

This sounds like two things, a host that requires DNS consistent lookups
and an incomplete or missing DNS table for the IP address making the
connection.

Check to make sure that there is a DNS entry for your ip address and that
the ip address is correctly setup in the reverse DNS tables.

JGT

--
John G. Thompson      Livingston Enterprises Inc.    Phone: (800) 458-9966
JOAT(MON)             6920-220 Koll Centre Pkwy.       Fax: (510) 426-8951