Re: Problems with PMConsole X and Windows (fwd)

David Carmean (dave@west.net)
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 00:02:00 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Rudy Amid wrote:

> An excerpt from Brian 'MegaZone' Bikowicz message:

[snip]
> > This is a known problem is all versions of pmconsole. For filters that long
> > they have to be done on the command line.
> >
> > But 65 rules? I don't think I've encounted a filter that large... What are
> > you filtering?
> >
> > -MZ
>
> I haven't used the front-end version of PMcommand before. Which one
> would you suggest I use, PMConsole for Sparc or Windows?
>
> Also, our site has over 40 rules. We're filtering everything while
> making individual exceptions to particular hosts and ports for vital services.
> This is the reason why I'm considering to use PMConsole but if there's
> a problem with many rules, I'll continue to use pmcommand. Btw, if I have
> that many rules, does it degrade the performance of the portmaster?

How about 73 rules? "That which is not expressly permitted, is
prohibited." If Cheswick and Bellovin are to be believed, I don't see
how I can do much less and be a useful Internet Service Provider, while
still being as secure as possible.

Also...how can I load a filter of this size without
pmcommand, which requires me to expose my Portmasters' passwords for
the time that it takes to execute the command? This is a serious
problem if there isn't another way. I hate having to change the
password just to change the filters.

David Carmean WB6YZM DC574 dave@west.net
System/Network Administrator, WestNet Communications, Inc.
PGP Key Fingerprint: CD 1C C1 15 3E E3 1D 41 ED C2 3E A8 D6 29 BD C4