Re: Portmaster Users Digest V95 #324

Alex Rubenstein (alex@planet.net)
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 20:09:15 -0500 (EST)

> From: jeffm@iglou.com (Jeff Mcadams)
> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 10:09:49 -0500 (EST)
> Subject: Re: Portmaster Users Digest V95 #323
>
> Thus spake Alex Rubenstein
> >I have been seeing these USR modem init's going back and forth.
> >
> >The best absolute one, the one that we have been using for about 10
> >months with never, ever a problem is:
> >
> > " AT &F1 &C1 &D2 &W "
>
> About the only thing that I would add to that would be.....if you are
> using PPP, you will probably want to turn off MNP5 compression with an
> &k3 and the &w writing the configuration to the NVRAM could eventually
> wear out your modem, so you might want to nix that part. Otherwie, that
> looks like a pretty basic, and solid init string.

According to USR, you an &w about 75,000 times before the modem will
report ERROR (which is covered under warranty) . . . using our own stats,
we have about 40 hits on a port each day, that would calculate to 5.13
years.. hopefully we won't be using these modems anymore in five years -
much less two years.