Re: Portmaster lockups (T10011)

His Royal Majesty (root@jeffnet.org)
Tue, 7 Nov 1995 11:01:20 -0800

On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Jon Green - User Support wrote:

> We are still having problems with all five of our Portmasters locking up. To
> recap, here are the symptoms:
>
> Unit will stop responding to all connections. Serial ports and ethernet
> ports are both unresponsive. Ethernet LED will show heartbeat, but nothing
> else. Diagnostic LED will be solid.
>
> Unit will usually come back up by itself after 15-45 minutes. After it
> comes back, uptime shows that the unit did NOT reboot.
>
> All Portmasters are connected to MultiTech racks, with a mixture of
> MT2834MR and MT1432MR modems. All Portmasters except one have all 30 ports
> connected. Interestingly, the one that doesn't have all ports full locks up
> MUCH less often than the others.
>
> Can anyone else think of things I can look at to help track down this
> problem? We're starting to get desparate here.. if these problems keep
> up, we're going to have to dump the Portmasters and buy something else.
> I'm convinced the Portmaster is a good product, and there must be *something*
> at this site that is hitting a bug in the Portmaster. I need to find out
> what that something is and eliminate it, or get the bug fixed. Whatever
> the case, I need to get it done fast.
>
> All ideas welcomed... Thanks. :)

Try pulling the last few (2 or 3) serial connections from each PM and see
if the problem goes away. If it does, then it is the "0.0.0.0" bug (maybe).
I am sure MZ will have something more specific to add, I only know what I
read.

JEFFNET - A membership public access internet service provider, sponsored
by the Jefferson Public Radio Listeners Guild.
Business office: (503)552-6301 WWW - http://jeffnet.org/
Software Support: (503)488-2403 E-Mail - JPR@jeffnet.org
Hardware/Server: (503)734-3721 (24hrs)
The State Of Jefferson - We secede from the union every Thursday