Re: Spam

Jeff Morris (xenium@xensei.com)
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 19:27:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, Chris Woods wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, Jon Lusky wrote:
>
> [re: spam]
>
> > Brian... any chance of finding out who sent this so we can express how
> > much we disliked receiveing it?
>
> This exact same spam was sent to 6 of the mailing lists that I read:
> info-bind, namedroppers, here, pop, info-andrew, and wu-ftpd. From here,
> and from parsing the headers, they seemed to come from a dialup at
> ixc.net. Someone on one of the other lists, though, mentioned that he got
> it from a new-york.net site as well. In most cases, it was spoofed/forged
> to seem as if it were coming from an nd.edu account.

There's been several sources that I'm aware of. One actually came from one
of our customers, "cow.net", which is a BBS running Waffle on an older Sun.
this was about the same time as the one from ixc.net, from what I understand.

The one from cow.net was forged, from what the cow.net admins have told me.

If the one posted to this list was from cow.net, there's no need to let us
know; we've already been made painfuly aware of it from hundreds of other
people, and cow.net got mail bombed to the point that they were off the net
for several days, and we needed to stop acting as their secondary MX. :-/

Remember when "Spam" was just a funny line from a Montey Python skit?
*sigh*.

Jeff Morris - http://www.xensei.com/users/jeffm/
| The Xensei Corporation |
| Affordable SLIP/PPP Internet Access - Boston South Shore |
| Phone: 617.376.6342 - E-Mail: info@xensei.com |
| http://www.xensei.com/ |