Re: Why does dynamic addressing not always work?

Jeff Vian (jeff@fn.net)
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 14:20:20 -0500

>On Tue, 10 Oct 1995, Chris Schmidt wrote:
>

>> Here
>> Here's the situation:
>>
>> PM2e 30-ports. A user logs in and is assigned an address using, for example,
>> trumpet winsock. When trumpet winsock gets the assigned address, it updates
>> the .ini file and when you choose file->setup you can actually see the
>> asssigned ip in the proper place.
>>
>> The same thing happens with MacTCP and ConfigPPP. No problem, right?
>>
>> Wrong. When that same user logs out and then logs in again, since the IP has
>> been saved in Winsock or in MacTCP, they are assigned that same IP address
>> again if it is available. If it is not, they are assigned a new one, which
>> updates the .ini or preferences file.
>>
>> Basically, if the user so wishes, they can choose an IP address in the
>> range specified on the PM, and so long as they address is available, they
>> will get it.
>>
>> Is it supposed to work that way?
>>
>> Chris
>
>Sure. It is not going to interfere with anything. You choose what pool of
>addresses are available, and if it one is in use it will not duplicate
>the assignment, so there are no problems. Is there a specific reason that
>you do not want users to be able to select an available IP address? As
>long as you make sure to tell them that you are using dynamic addressing
>I can't see a problem.
>
> Patrick

This is not quite how it works.

As stated, the livingston assignes the address and winsock recognizes it. However, if the user does not do file/setup/ok the address is not actually saved in the ini file, just in memory for that session. When the user disconnects the assigned address is lost, and a new one assigned for the next session.

The problems occur when the user does do file/setup/ok and the ini file is actually updated. The next time he logs in if the saved ip is already in use the portmaster assigns a new ip but winsock does not accept the change and fails to properly communicate.

We frequently have problems when our (ignorant/stupid/careless) users change the setup and cause this situation.

Jeff
Jeff Vian Future Net, Inc.
<jeff@fn.net> Wichita, Kansas
http://www.fn.net 316-652-0070
The opinions expressed here are purely my own and do not
necessarily reflect the views of my employers.