Re: "Connecting" (fwd)

David Carmean (dave@west.net)
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 00:59:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 1 Oct 1995, Brian 'MegaZone' Bikowicz wrote:

> Once upon a time Pat McClanahan shaped the electrons to say...
> >I have a user that gets connects to our modem bank, can enter his login
> >id and password, but then the PM sits there with a status of "Connecting"
> >until the connections times out. The user never does get a usable connection.
>
> In addition to the other suggestins you can try:
>
> telnet to the PM
> 'set console'
> 'set debug 0x51'
>
> have the user dial in, you will see the PPP negotiation messages as they
> happen (you could script this from UNIX so you have it to email support if
> it comes to that). Watch for any problems, like no response from one side
> or the other, or NAKs.

What I usually see is that the user has somehow turned on
PAP or CHAP, when all we're using is RADIUS with Unix password. It's
common enough that it's the first thing I have them check now with this
symptom. I forget the exact messages given in this debug mode, but they're
obvious when you see them.

> When done:
>
> 'set debug 0x0' <-- IMPORTANT, always turn this off or it can cause problems.
> 'reset console'
>
> -MZ
> --
> Livingston Enterprises Technical Support
> Phone: 800-458-9966 FAX: 510-426-8951
> support@livingston.com <http://www.livingston.com/>
> 6920 Koll Center Parkway #220, Pleasanton, CA 94566

David Carmean WB6YZM DC574 dave@west.net
WestNet Communications, Inc. (805)892-2133 (805)289-1000
PGP Key Fingerprint: CD 1C C1 15 3E E3 1D 41 ED C2 3E A8 D6 29 BD C4