Re: Can't Telnet To PM2e

Mury Andrew Johnson (mury@main.goldengate.net)
Sun, 1 Oct 1995 16:10:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 1 Oct 1995, Garry Shtern wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Oct 1995, Mury Andrew Johnson wrote:
> > fine. This time I have tried everything, resetting the pm, rebooting the
> > accounting server that we telnet to the pm from, looking through the
> > logs, everything, and I can't find the problem, nor can I solve it
> > accidentally.
> >

> Try loggin onto the pm and typing show netconns, and see if there is
> anything on the port 23.

Well, that's another lesson in assumptions. I thought by resetting all,
I was effectively reset *all*. You were right, there were the four
connections to port 23. Which is also scary since the connections were
from dialup ppp users telnetting back into the portmaster. So now I have
to find out which person (hopefully it's a misinformed employee, and not
a hack) didn't get the message about not administrating over phone lines.

Finally, I have one more question...

How do I clear/reset the telnet port, without rebooting? BTW, I changed
the telnet port to 888 to see if it would clear port 23, or if I could
"open" up four more telnet possibilities. If I should know how to reset
the telnet port already, I apologize for my ignorance.

Thank you for your help.

mury@goldengate.net