AW: (PM) Strange Situation

Patrick Kormann (pkormann@datacomm.ch)
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 11:19:22 +0100

Hi!

Well, that's not SO strange.
Say, a User can send/receive 40'000 bit/s (and that's normally not true, as
v.90 upstream is only 33'600).
So, he can send 40 bits in 1 ms, that's 5 bytes. a linux standard ping is 56
bytes. so he needs 11.2 ms to send 56 bytes. Then, a ping is two-way, so you
have to double that, that's already 22.4 ms. Then, you still don't have any
serial line handling, processing time, protocol stacks, any async to sync
conversion or PPP de- and encapsluation. And of course, you have quite some
overhead to send those 56 bytes (IP-Header, PPP-Header and so on) Then,
there's a good chance that the line isn't totally dedicated to your ping,
but that the user actually uses the line :)
And then of course there comes the bad modem code that makes the connections
slow. But I'd say 100 ms is absolutely normal for analog calls.

PS: ACHTUNG!! Einheitsnummer 0840 840 850 !!

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Patrick Kormann
DataComm (Schweiz) AG