Re: (PM) Telnet sessions

John W Baxter (jwblist@olympus.net)
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 00:41:22 -0800

At 20:05 -0800 12/9/99, Dialup wrote:
>We have noticed on our portmasters that if 4 telnet sessions are opened up
>for !root, a 5th session cannot be opened, an error message saying
>"telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused" shows up.
>Is it possible to increase the maximum ammount of telnet sessions to a
>portmaster? We are running a program that telnets to the portmaster to
>poll the information of users logged in for further processing, and if
>there are already 4 sessions opened up, it makes the polled information
>inaccurate. It would be nice if I could open up a telnet socket on
>another port so that the program would have dedicated access to the
>specified telnet port so this wouldnt be a problem anymore. I'm sure
>other people have the same problem, so if the all-mighty and knowing
>portmaster users list has an answer to this, my life would be bliss.

I put a check in our Expect script which catches failed telnets, waits a
bit and tries again (not forever, of course: thrice, I think). That has
helped a lot (I kept running into another monitor which was also telnetting
for another purpose, and it was getting there first).

--John (who doesn't yet speak SNMP)

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA