Re: (PM) comos 3.9b24

Mike Tancsa (mike@sentex.net)
Thu, 09 Dec 1999 23:46:58 GMT

On 9 Dec 1999 14:47:15 -0500, in sentex.lists.livingston you wrote:

>Mike,
>
>When you reset the modem using "reset M#", that becomes a "User Request"
>because the call circuit was closed external from the PPP server. If you
>terminate a connection using "reset S#", that becomes an "Admin Reset".
>
>The "User Request - Call Circuit Closed" disconnect occurs when dial-up
>users close their session from the Dial-Up Monitor and clicking on "Hang
>Up Modem". Killing the modem connection bypasses normal PPP disconnect
>protocols. Users should disconnect from by expanding the connection icon
>on the task bar and then selecting "Disconnect"; this generates the
>disconnect message "User Request - PPP Term Req".
>
>I suppose the "Call Circuit Closed" message could also occur when a modem
>disconnects upon too many retrains. There's no way to distinguish between
>a disconnect using "Hang Up Modem" and a telephone line problem; they
>appear the same to the PM3.

The point I am trying to make is that the symatics of "User request" is
misleading from the perspective of where the 'event' happened to cause the
session to terminate. When our end users call us up saying that "We were
surfing the net and all of a sudden our connection dropped and we had to
dial back in", and we look at their history logs, there are almost always a
lot of CCCs. i.e. they correspond highly to users who are having problems.
(except for the Windows clients with broken idle time outs, but those
result in PPP -Term requests)

The reset M# trick I feel illustrates the _possibility_ that when the PM3
reports the disconnection reason being CCC, the problem could be with the
PM3 in that it was triggured by an event ON the PM3. In the case of the
reset M#, an event generated _at the PM3_, causes the session to drop.
Even though its artificial, the end result is in the dropped connection.
The same thing in theory could be happening during a retrain/reneg, or
perhaps too many CPU cycles stolen by OSPF adj. recalcs.. who knows.

I would say in the end, if we see 8% of all termination reasons being CCC,
x% is the fault of the PM3 and y% is the client's modem. What x and y are,
are impossible to tell. It could be 1:7 or 7:1.

---Mike
Mike Tancsa (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)