Re: (PM) Re: (ANNC) ComOS 3.9b26 available for open beta

Craig Baird (bairdc@ns.xpressweb.com)
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:50:55 -0700 (MST)

I really hope that everyone who is complaining about the modem code has
been working with Lucent to fix their problems. The only time we've had
any real problems with PM3 modem code, we reported it to Lucent, and they
got us into a closed beta for the next ComOS. We supplied them with
traces when they asked for them, and we even sent them some of the modems
that were having trouble. To make a long story short, Lucent support was
excellent to work with, and our problems were fixed not too long after we
got involved with the closed beta.

Anyway, I understand that some of you are outside the US, and have to deal
with distributors for support. I would hope that support through Lucent
distributors is every bit as good as support through Lucent themselves.
If not, Lucent needs to work on that.

Anyway, my point is that the PM3 modem code works fine for us, and for a
number of other people. If it doesn't work fine for you, then it's got to
be something peculiar to your environment (lines, telco, switch, etc)
that the PM3 doesn't like. Therefore, if you want your problems fixed,
you'd better take the bull by the horns and work with Lucent to fix it.
Don't expect someone else to do it for you, because there may not be
anybody else with all the same variables you have. In addition, don't
expect Lucent to do it without your help because they cannot be reasonably
expected to re-create every single possible variable that may exist out
there in telco-land. So to sum it up, if you've got a funky setup (even
if it doesn't seem funky to you), you'd better work with Lucent to help
the PM3 deal better with it, or get another RAS. Of course, as others
have mentioned, other RASes have their own quirks and problems, so there's
no guarantee that the others will work better than the PM3.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying the PM3 is perfect, but in our
environment, it's at least darn good.

Craig
Xpressweb Internet Services
bairdc@xpressweb.com