Re: (PM) Users without V42bis

Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@denalics.net)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:11:38 -0900 (AKST)

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Sebastian Leijser wrote:

> We are running some PM3s with ComOS 3.8.2 .
>
> As if the generally low connection speeds and frequent hangups weren't
> enough, I've noticed quite a few modemusers having a connection without
> V42bis compression. I asked some of those users whether they deactivated
> V42bis but none of them even new what it was or how to deactivate it.
>
> So I assume it is the PM3s negotiating connects without V42bis.
>
> Has anybody else noticed this? Any advice on how to get rid of the problem?

Eh? Just because a user does not know what it is, or how to
activate/de-activate it does not mean they have not changed it while
clicking around.

In every case we have seen the user turned it off, or win95 had
the wrong .inf on the modem and was sending the wrong init string.

----
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
--About the Internet and nuclear war.