Re: (PM) PM3 capabilities

Tim Tsai (tim@futuresouth.com)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:45:21 -0600

> jp@sugar.midcoast.com wrote:
>
> Can a PM3 (2t1 version) with a WAN card handle 3 T1s full bore?
> (ISP use) Or should I keep it to just 2 T1s if I demand performance.
> Any testimonials or other emperically determined knowledge?

My question would be whether the PM3 can pass 3 full T1's worth of
traffic, handle some filtering (anti-spoofing would be mandatory), talk
BGP, and survive a mild (<T1 worth) smurf attack without falling over.
My guess would be no. I know the smurf attack alone is enough to kill
the PM3 from past experience.

If this is a border router, I'd recommend looking into something like
a Cisco 2601 or even a 3620. For an internal router though (that handles
only customer traffic) the PM3 is probably OK.

Tim