Re: (PM) OSPF

Chris Edwards (chris@vol.com)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:25:16 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the advice. Now im having another small problem. I don't seem
to be able to turn on OSPF on the ethernet interface. Here is my
ifconfig...

ether0: flags=3D16<IP_UP,IPX_DOWN,BROADCAST,OSPF>
inet 209.42.161.11 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 209.42.161.0=20
ospf area ???? ospf-state ??? mtu 1500

Its showing an ospf area of ????. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris Edwards
President
Voyager Online, LLC
chris@vol.com
http://www.vol.com
800-864-0442=20
423-209-2929

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Frank Heinzius wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:57:25 +0100
> From: Frank Heinzius <frimp@mms.de>
> To: Chris Edwards <chris@vol.com>
> Cc: portmaster-users@livingston.com
> Subject: Re: (PM) OSPF
>=20
> Hi Chris,
>=20
> On 18 Feb 99, at 0:23, Chris Edwards wrote:
>=20
> > I am wanting to implement OSPF on my PM3's. Is there any thing I shoul=
> > watch out for? I am using cisco routers. I was thinking that maybe I
> > would not have enough RAM and would need to upgrade but don't know. I =
am
> > going to make the modem pools into seperate areas with summerization.=
=20
> > I am looking for just a general overview and opinions from other people
> > out there running it. Thanks! =20
>=20
> The OSPF implementation works well for me. A memory upgrade is not necess=
ary. This will=20
> be necessary for BGP4 or OSPF, when you have a very large backbone area a=
nd thousands of=20
> routes (but this is the point where you should use SAs or NSSAs).
>=20
> Another point is how to define the assigned memory pool. Set the first ad=
dress (set=20
> assigned x.x.x.x) to an even border, also set the pool size to a subnet s=
ize (set pool=20
> yy). The PM3 announces these routes with VLSM optimization, so non-even a=
ssigments will=20
> make quite a bunch of strange-looking routes ;-)
>=20
> The next thing I discovered is: when you use OSPF, filter rules on Ethern=
et interfaces=20
> don=B4t work with CIDR notations (e.g. 192.168.1.0/22 to address 4 contig=
nuous Class-C=20
> networks). I discovered this in comos 3.7.2, but I=B4m not sure if it=B4s=
still true with=20
> 3.8.2.
>=20
> So far, so good. Ah, for those who have an PM4 and use ether1 (100BT) and=
OSPF, you have=20