Re: (PM) SUMMARY - looking for opinions - PM3 and AS5300 (fwd)

pmaster@sentex.net
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:38:30 GMT

On 19 Feb 1999 15:45:28 -0500, in sentex.lists.livingston you wrote:

>Because this is the most fluid thing of all about the NAS market - modem
>code is a very fast moving target overall. You're basing a decision on
>something that is likely to change before you even get the unit shipped.

Fast moving compared to what ? 3.8.2 came out end of Decemeber, 3.8.0 came
out ... 4 months before that ? 3.8.2 showed very little difference in
terms of modem performance. Bad connections, average speed all were
essentially the same-- (And no, thats not from doing a couple of 'show
sessions' and drawing conclusions. Its from summarizing hundreds of
thousand radius entries). At that pace, it will problably be April before
we see 3.9 with any new modem code with the hopes of real improvement.

>*TODAY* the 3Com has a *slight* edge, IMHO. Not even a car length
>lead in the race, and people continue to report trouble with things liek
>HCF modems. Not long ago 3Com was having some serious trouble with
>Rockwell clients across the board, and their OWN low end client modems.

We saw the same with Lucent modems connecting to Lucent boxes.

Lets face it, the #1 and #2 things that consumers want are availability
(i.e. no busy signals) and stability and performance (i.e. their connection
is not slow and doest get dropped). Yeah, I like the ComOS interface, I
like the fact that through OSPF I can do routing easily... But for the
majority of my customers, they dont give a rats ass. They just want to go
to whatever.com and not have their modem drop their connection.

---Mike
Mike Tancsa (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada