Re: (PM) PM4: BUG ?? Duplicate Radius Accounting records?

Jeff Carneal (jeff@apex.net)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 09:21:00 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Matthew S. Crocker wrote:

> > > It also locked up 3 times last night but that is another story.
> >
> > Can you give a little more detail about this? We've been having what
> > seems to be similar problems with our PM4. 3 times in the last two weeks,
> > it's stopped answering calls, wouldn't respond to SNMP or telnet, but
> > would respond to ICMP. On the console, we saw pages and pages of
> > debugging info about the backplane being reset, though I haven't seen this
> > data myself. I'm still waiting for it to happen when I'm around.
>
> This is the EXACT symptoms we have been seeing. In fact it just went down
> as I'm typing this. The box is 100 miles away with no console connection
> so I can't check the console logs. It has been running fine uptil last
> night. Luckily we have the box on an APC masterswitch so we can remote
> power cycle it.

I think I have your answer...when you get the box up, telnet in and
periodically do a 'sh memory verbose'. Watch the MEM_RAD_BUFF and
MEM_RADIUS lines, and see if the Bytes Used column climbs continuously.
If it does, you have fallen victim to a bug we encountered a few weeks
back.

There's a bug in the radius accounting code that hemorrages memory until
the box finally offs itself. The temporary fix is to 'set account
0.0.0.0' and 'set account 2 0.0.0.0'. The permanent fix is to get 4.0.3c1
if you confirm this is the problem.

--
  Jeff Carneal - Sys Admin - Apex Internet
  jeff@apex.net http://www.apex.net (502) 442-5363

The opinions expressed above aren't really mine. They belong to someone else who also refuses to take responsibility for them.