Re: (PM) ComOS version

Jay Hennigan (jay@west.net)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 06:30:42 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Richard Morrell wrote:

> > While I'm on the topic of ComOS reliability (again), I've found a great
> > way to keep ComOS from rebooting itself[2]. About two weeks ago, I made a
> > configuration change (enabled OSPF and increased the number of PMConsole
> > sessions), which requires a reboot[3]. I didn't both rebooting because I
> > reckoned that the portmangler would reboot itself at some point.
> >
> > However, much to my surprise the damn thing has been totally rock solid
> > since I made the change. Can anyone else verify this as a reproducable
> > fix or is it merely amusing?
>
> I can confirm that this DOESN'T work as my portmangler has just rebooted
> itself again. On the upside, it lasted 18 days which is a ComOS 3.8x
> record and I have OSPF running now...

We've been running OSPF for a long time, and have never seen any evidence
of PM3s rebooting spontaneously. This is with 19 PM3s in service in four
locations, both PRI and C-T1.

pm0.sba1> ver
Livingston PortMaster PM-3 ComOS 3.8.2
System uptime is 45 days 9 hours 53 minutes

--
--        Jay Hennigan     jay@west.net    805-884-6323          --
WestNet:  Internet service to Santa Barbara, Ventura and the world.