Re: (PM) Re: Portmaster Users Digest V99 #35

Thomas Kinnen (tkinnen@livingston.com)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:33:48 -0800

stevei wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> We're thinking of putting the Stac cards in our PM3's. A check of the
> archive shows this is pointless for analog customers and will break ISDN.
> The threads I found, however, were nearly a year old. Is this still the
> case?
> If they do work, how much improvement (versus no cards) can we
> realistically expect?

The STAC cards do work with Modems. Windows 95/98/NT offer STAC compression.
You must disable modem based compression for it to work though (V42bis/etc).

The amount of boost they give really depends on what data you transfer. Text
files will get a lot faster. JPG a little faster.

----
Thomas C Kinnen - <tkinnen@livingston.com> <tkinnen@ra.lucent.com>
"All of the opinions stated above are my own and not my employer's,
unless they were given to me by my employer"