Re: (PM) Portmaster 3 / ISDN problem and errors...

Richard Morrell (portmaster@ednet.co.uk)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:45:54 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Bo Bendtsen wrote:

> I am one of those that cannot upgrade to 3.8 or 3.8.2. I am told that I
> am one of those that are waiting for a fix that cures a synch problem
> with the ISDN code.

Lucky you. Some of us have to run the broken 3.8 code because we had
foolishly said to our users that we would do V.90 like the rest of our
competitors.

ComOS 3.8.2 does *nothing* to address the E1 PRI signalling issues, it
fixes <gasp> V.32 modem code (among other things).

> I am currently running 3.7.2c3

Good choice, it's very stable. I think it's the best version of ComOS
ever apart from it lacking V.90 and some of the other nice features of 3.8

> My problem occurs lets say every 2 months, where suddenly the PRI drops.
> The line does not come up again and I have to turn it of for a few
> minutes while C&W runs a diagnostics or take the line out of service for
> 1-2 minutes, then suddenly it comes back.

This happens with me under 3.8, but under 3.8.2 it reboots itself instead
of just flapping the PRI which is better I suppose. What are your
experiences with 3.8.2?

> When I installed 3.8 the first time, sometimes it actually went up (I
> thought), but when users tried to connect the sound was completely wrong
> and noone could connect. However ISDN2 calls could get through.

Odd. The only thing I have seen like this is when I got an engineering
version of 3.8 to test and it was missing the modem code (it was a sort of
patch rather than a full ComOS image). Where did you get your copy of
ComOS from and what version was it?

> I don't even bother to report the error as a fault, I go straight to one
> engineer (Don :-) ) at C&W and tell him the following:

Don't even bother with that. Just hard reboot the portmaster, it should
clear the fault quicker than phoning C&W.

> When are we getting this fix we heard about since december that cures
> the synch ?

September actually (when ComOS 3.8 came out). I've been trying to get
this sorted since December but no joy so far. I was promised a fix
within x hours last week (where x < 100), but again we have nothing.

I'll have to go and get my LART (Lucent Attitude Re-adjustment Tool)
sharpened again. :-)

> Could anyone please send me some comments on this subject, which I wish
> would go away.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's all I've had for the last 2
months.

Regards,

--
Richard Morrell                                           richard@ednet.co.uk