Re: (PM) Rockwell HCF modems

Mike Tancsa (mike@sentex.net)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 06:15:36 GMT

On 9 Feb 1999 22:07:57 -0500, in sentex.lists.livingston you wrote:
> We have many users with Rockwell HCF based modems, and they all
>appear to be having trouble connecting to our PM3's with ComOs 3.8.2.
>Does anyone have an Init String that provides good results with these
>type of modems ? And if so, what would be the right Init String to limit
>connection speeds ?

The bizzare thing about these modems is that they make the basis of quite a
few modems, but they all perform quite differently... My Diamond Supra PCI
can stay connected for days on end with good speed, minimal
retrains/renegotiations. The Acer PCI which is based on the same chipset
will drop connections like mad. In theory, all the driver should do is
provide a PCI/Async bridge as the modem code should all be pretty well the
same as its all made by Rockwell. Init strings dont seem to do much for
these modems, other than perhaps try and force them into V.90 mode. One
thing to check for is to see how its reporting its fifo buffer emulation.
On some wonky installs it comes up incorrectly.

Anyways, this topic has been well covered in previous threads. Search
through the archives for a wealth of info...

---Mike
Mike Tancsa (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada