Re: (PM) LT Winmodem + Gamers?

Rick Davidson (rick@buckeyeweb.com)
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:34:01 -0500

>From what I have seen is that you do get a great ping with 56k's but once
in a game like q2 or half-life the lop sided send and recieve makes it much
more laggy than a good ol 28.8 send and receive. I guess if you get a solid
28.8 upload it should be fine but I have taken many calls with gamers
stating "I got a new 56K modem and am getting great connect speeds but now
the lag makes the games unplayable, why?" I usually give them an init
string to disable kflex and v.90 for playing games. I used to use a USR
33.6 (before I got ISDN ;-P) it was always obvious when my upload speed was
below 28.8. This doesnt seem to be true for all games but just the action
packed ones like quake and half-life. Since Half-life is very cpu intensive
using a winmodem may prove difficult, I got a major performance increase on
my P400 128mb voodoo2 by turning off the decals "r_decals 0" you still see
the blood when your beating people with the crowbar, it just doesnt stick
to the walls :-)

my one and a half cents,
Rick Davidson
Systems Administrator
Buckeye Internet Services, Ltd. http://www.buckeyeweb.com
Make SPAM illegal - Join CAUCE at http://www.cauce.org
We have upped our standards, so up yours.