Re: (PM) arg.. >8 char usernames

I don't work for Lucent RABU (livingston@iav.com)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:38:38 -1000 (HST)

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Scott Rothgaber wrote:

> On 3 Feb 99, at 14:49, jon-lists wrote:
>
> > Should I waste my time grabbing the latest slackware distribution? Should
> > I redo this completely with a different choice (i.e. FreeBSD?)
>
> I *strongly* suggest BSDI for reasons too plentiful to list here.
> It's basically an out-of-the-box ISP platform. You can be online
> providing all of the common services in about an hour. If you can
> afford to pay for UNIX, this is the way to go.
>
> http://www.bsdi.com
>
> If you absolutely cannot afford to pay for anything, a lot of folks
> seem to like FreeBSD.

I believe the 3.x builds of FreeBSD have greater than 8 character
usernames, if I remember reading on another list, with the 2.x builds
limited to 8 chars.

BSDi works nicely with greater than 8 characters, built in shadow'd
passwords, LOOONG password support either use 8 significant or 128
significant.

However, there are a few other issues to consider like compatability
etc... personally I LOVE BSDi, but I'll be playing with Linux and *BSD
also for things like ipfwadm...

And to keep topical, LRABU has been quite good in compiling for BSDi and
providing binaries of their utilities. 8( too bad the JRE for the BSDi
seems to be a pain.

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood Got Clue? If so: ISPF! The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>