RE: (PM) Re: PM2 production

I don't work for Lucent RABU (may@nm.net)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 16:09:43 -0700

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 may@nm.net wrote:
-| Which I'd hoped to find out about from this list.

>I wouldnt reccomend running any type of ISDN off a PM2 -- although, there
>are plenty of people on the list doing it. So, YMMV.

Some of the information I was looking for.

-| >If you dont plan to support ISDN off the PM2, then it is still cheaper
-| >(even at business rates on POTS lines) to feed your modems with POTS
-| >instead of BRI's (in nm that is)
-|
-| With the BRI card you can simulate a PRI if the BRI card is smart enough.
-| Don't need any isdn modems. Locations where need is greater than 10
-| channels worth of ISDN I can put in a PRI and a PM3 or other access
server.

>Sure, but why? If you are running PM2's you are either supporting ISDN
>modems directly (you need BRI's for that) or you are going to be running
>regular external modems (you COULD use BRI's but at the price in new
>mexico, why the hell would you?) when you would use standard pots lines at
>a cheaper rate.

The Internal BRI card handles the BRI's why should I need ISDN modems as
well? I would use the BRI's for customers in New Mexico, if customers ask
for the service. I do run regular external modems, and know they are
cheaper than BRI's.

>I have done considerable research on muxing some BRI's to form a PRI and
>the price is DEFINETLY right. The BRI's come out to be ~$900/month --
>whereas a PRI in NM is going to run you around $1800/month. However, this
>doesnt take into account the extra hassle with the BRI's -- also note:

I've seen equipment that muxes BRI's into a PRI. Your costs only take into
account recurring costs for a PRI versus multiple BRI's. They do not take
into account the cost of a new PM3 versus the one already owned as well as
the muxing equipment, and the reduced number of BRI customers due to the
high cost of a BRI in New Mexico.

>1.) ISDN is REALLY new in NM to USWest -- their success rate on first
>install is not pretty.

As in any endeavor I would have the new service up and working before
turning it over to customers for service.

>2.) USWest _will_ screw up the hunting on your BRI's if you get enough of
>them, guaranteed.

Is this any different from service with regular analog lines? Again make
sure it is working before letting customers loose on the new service.

-| I'm not looking to get rid of the PM2's, they aren't limiting me, I want
-| make sure there is support and ongoing development for a potentially
money
-| saving piece of equipment for low usage dial-up locations. Namely a
small
-| simulated PRI in a city with relatively low dial-up usage, but with
people
-| who still want to use ISDN. This BRI card product is just the thing for
-| this application, if it is supported.

>I'm still not sure what you mean. Unless you plan on running external
>modems and ISDN off the same portmaster product? If so, then yes. You can
>save alot of money. You will have alot of hassles as well though.

Of course that is the plan. Low usage locations in the first place,
hopefully support for the product. A separate rotor for ISDN and Modem
access, coming in on the same piece of equipment. Eventually with 10 analog
lines, and 5 BRI's in service, I have a business case and usage case to
upgrade to a PM3 with PRI service and internal digital modems, with one
number to call.