EOL products (was Re: (PM) How old are you now?)

I don't work for Lucent RABU (livingston@iav.com)
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 13:04:39 -1000 (HST)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Jake Messinger wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, John Vozza wrote:
>
> > "My first computer had rows of wooden beads on metal rods."
>
> My first computer was actually a PORTMASTER 11.
>
> There! I stayed on topic!
>
> Now... has anyone heard any rumors about Livingston bringing BACK the
> portmaster 2 and 25 into production?

Okay, I haven't been around during the good ole days of the PM11, but it
seems with the PM3 and PM4 lines being the bread and butter right now, and
quite a large used market for PM2s, I can imagine that effectively the
software updates to the PM2 will probably not last past 3.9.

In general, for their original intention, the PM2xs did their job and did
them well. With exceptions being some memory faults in the PM2i and
underpowered PM2er for T1 routing. So, for most the current 3.7.2 ComOS
is sufficient.

Now I'm looking back at my OR-HS and thinking they MUST have their new
unit ready soon. I've heard a few tidbits about it, something like _mumbo_
;) is the name, however no price had been set the 2 or 3 months ago that I
heard.

If LRABU could send a rep to the ISPF2 Living Room and talk shop with the
ISP owners and techies, I'm sure that they'd get many responses on what an
ISP is looking for. Something like CPE that is $600 does NAT has 10/100
ether and a frac-T1 sync port and does OSPF.

Just a Thought...

--
Aloha from Paradise,

Sherwood Got Clue? If so: ISPF! The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>