Re: (PM) Best Data Smart One 56k/v.90

John W Baxter (jwblist@olympus.net)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:45:38 -0800

At 14:08 -0700 2/2/99, Ely Lucas wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Have a user using this modem and he can't connect. As soon as the handshake
> ends, it immediately begins retraining to different speeds. I see the
> speeds shift doing multiple show all commands and the show ses command shows
> the port at PPP. After about 30 seconds or so it disconnects him telling
> him to check his configuration. Bestdata.com says it uses a Rockwell
> chipset, but using +MS=12,1,28800,40000 makes the modem unresponsive.
> Anyone know whats going on with this computer?
>
> Thanks a million,
> Ely

We have several of these in the Mac form (which I believe is the same
modem) connecting fine. The Modem Script from Best Data uses this
INIT string for this modem on Mac...in other words...nothing
surprising:

AT&FE0S0=&C1&D2W2\13

Hmmm...S0=&... I suppose a 0 is assumed, for S0's new value.

I think you are telling it to transmit between 28800 and 40000
<impossible> and letting it pick the receive speed. Try two more
commas before the 28800.

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish,