Re: (PM) PM3 RFE Idea....

Stephen Zedalis (tintype@exis.net)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:59:10 -0500 (EST)

Sounds nice, but I don't think it will be feasible for several reasons.
First and foremost, the speed is negotiated before RADIUS is consulted and
you have a username, so by the time RADIUS gets it, its a done deal unless
somehow you do it on a callback basis. Second, my understanding of the
V.90 protocol is that the client modem decides connect speed - PERIOD. Its
not negotiated like V.34+, essentially the client modem analyses line
conditions and sets the connect rate. On the server end, the unit sets up
the speed the client asks for. Lastly, while it may be possible to force
a renegotiation/downtrain by injecting errors or by request after the user
is determined, my experience is that with the cheap modems out today that
you might very well get a disconnection rather than the downtrain that you
wanted. When I look at the User-Request logoffs from current users many
of them seem to be the client modem deciding that there were too many
errors on the line and requesting a disconnnect. I can't see purposely
injecting these errors and hoping that you get a retrain vice a
disconnect. You may be able to selectively disable one or all of the V.90
protocol symbol rates, but if you do it on callback who's to say whether
the same caller gets the same line on callback? If you do it while the
call is in progress, several client modems have bad history of downtrains
and some just can't go back to V.34+ rates from a 56K call.