Re: (PM) PM4 and load

John Storms (jstorms@livingston.com)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:56:04 -0800

At 10:14 AM 11/20/98 -0500, Jeff Haas wrote:
>One of the things that we got from chatting with our sales rep
>(Hi, Frank!) was that the PM3/4 outsource a large chunk of their
>operations on a per-modem basis on the DSP's. IOW, the PPP and
>a lot of the basic IP based stuff aren't run on the primary CPU,
>they are run on the DSP.

Currently the DSP's themselves aren't doing the PPP processing, the PPP
processing is done by another chip that does the PPP processing for a bank
of 16 modems. But you are right the main CPU does not do this processing.

>I have no clue about filtering, STAC compression, et al. I also
>wonder about ISDN which don't require DSPs.

Filtering is done by the main processor. On the ethernet card the
filtering is done by two processors one for inbound data and the other for
outbound data. This is to keepup with the 100Mb full duplex ethernet port.

>Then again, I may have been misinformed.
>
>On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 07:49:36PM -0600, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
>> Can anyone here honestly say that they have a PM4 running, filled with
>> four PRIs per slot, all running STAC? I'm just curious...my boss is anal
>> about this stuff, and he wants some way of measuring how load is affected
>> on the box as users are added to it, so we can graph how it'll do in the
>> long haul, compared to a similar graph from a 5300/5800. This is a
>> particular mindset that he's learned from Cisco and Ascend over time:
>> never trust the vendor's claims.
>>
>> Is there something I can give him, that we can confirm with our own
>> testing, that will satisfy this requirement? Some way of seeing the impact
>> on available resources on the system as more users come online, etc. would
>> be perfect. Has "show cpu" or "show processes" been implemented yet? :-)
>
>> Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@xnet.com>
>
>--
>Jeffrey Haas -+- jmh@msen.com -+- http://www.msen.com/~jmh
>/\/\sen, Inc. "Michigan's Best Run Internet Service Provider."
>-

---
jstorms@lucent.com
Diplomacy:  The art of saying good doggie
while seaching for a big rock.