Re: (PM) Fast connects, slow ping times??

pmaster@sentex.net
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 03:09:26 GMT

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:30:37 -0800, in sentex.lists.livingston you
wrote:

>I have a user with a strange problem. All he can tell me about his modem is
>that it's a Rockwell chipset and that it's PCI. Barring more information,
>what can cause him to get fast connect rates (45000-52000) and cause his
>ping times to get longer the faster he connects? If he connects at 46000, I
>get ping times of 600ms or so...if he connects at 52000, his ping times get
>longer! Any ideas? I've seen similar problems with USR Winmodems.

I dont think there is any solution right now... Unfortunately there
are a lot of modems based on this chipsset, and performance against
the PM3 is the pits! We have lost a few customers because of this to
our competitors who run Ciscos and Ascends and those modems connect
just fine... We are seriously contemplating buying other equipment
modem issues are not better addressed in the next version of ComOS. It
would be nice if Livingston just released a modem code update to ComOS
3.8 instead of going to a beta 3.9 which will introduce other bugs
being a beta.

---Mike
Mike Tancsa (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,