Re: (PM) Ugly (but handy) debugging tool (fwd)

Jeff Haas (jmh@mail.msen.com)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:45:25 -0400

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 03:25:38PM -0700, MegaZone wrote:
> The need to have multiple admin users debugging at the same time has never
> been seen as a major demand.

To beat a dead baby seal:
This is exactly the type of issue we (Msen) expects to be an issue
with the PM4. We do this. All the time. Java goo is not an option
when you are on a box that doesn't support it, or the GUI that goes
with it.

If Lucington wishes to make me shut-up on this issue, this is what
I'd like to see:

o Non-GUI based Java tool.
o Ability to set filter options on the command line and interactively.
o Ability to filter out things like LCP_ECHO's.
o Ability to lock a debug session on a given S-port based on the
ANI coming off the PRI. I _know_ the number my customer is calling
from and I should be able to use it.

With the above, I can use the text-based java tool from a vt100
dialed into one of our Unix hosts.

The ability to troubleshoot from anywhere is all I really ask.

> I don't think the syslog support is lacklustre, especially in recent releases.

Merely overwhelming. I don't fancy a fully loaded PM4 trying to syslog.
Syslog is, after all, UDP and stuff gets dropped. Thats a bad thing when
you're trying to do some debugging.

--
Jeffrey Haas -+- jmh@msen.com -+- http://www.msen.com/~jmh
/\/\sen, Inc. "Michigan's Best Run Internet Service Provider."