Re: (PM) [support@livingston.com: Re: [E108385] Adtran 2nd channel reconnect problem]

Jeff Haas (jmh@mail.msen.com)
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:55:50 -0400

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 06:04:38PM -0400, Christopher Masto wrote:
> Seperately, there is a DOSBS
> problem with a different TA. Do you have customers with Courier
> I-Modems that are able to connect using DOSBS to a (56k-equipped) PM3?
> I doubt it.

DOSBS has been tested and verified both with PRI and CT1 on PM3s
running 3.7.2 code for the following TA's at Msen:

Courier I-modem
Motorola Bitsurfr
3com CompactIQ
3com Office Connect
Proteon GT70 series
That Webramp THING
Netopia
ADC Kentrox Pacesetter (Veloce)

I think it works fine, neh?

> I believe the I-Modem is at fault; my gripe there is
> Livingston using outdated compatability information and refusing to
> update the test or (heaven forbid) try to find a workaround.

I beg your pardon? I know more about ISDN that I ever wanted to due
to problems with various TA's and having to deal with Ameritech CTG,
ISDN Provisioning, SARTS and other groups I wish I never heard of.
Livingston has been nothing but helpful in troubleshooting interoperability,
provisioning and translation issues. This includes the bug-fix for
the rather annoying "routine exercise" bug that Msen helped debug a
couple of revs ago.

Give them the information they need to solve the problem. If necessary,
get Livingston and the other vendor talking.

I will agree with you about the problems with the e-mail support group.
Contact the main support # - you'll get better support.

Also let your sales rep know about your problems.

> The customer tells me that Adtran support told him that his ISP is
> hanging up on the second channel,

At which point you'd see output on debug isdn or isdn-d.

> that Adtran only attempts one connection,

This behaviour is lame. The telco (at least Ameritech) is often
responsible for refused calls - the TA needs to be persistant.

> DOSBS is only a problem with the Courier I-Modem, so far as I know.

It works fine.
That being said, make sure you're using a semi-recent version or
even try REVERTING to a previous version. Much like Motorola,
the Courier I-Modems seem to go through the rev dujour.

> Although we have a fairly large percentage of ISDN users, the number
> that have dual-channel service _and_ use both channels in the way this
> guy does is probably very small.

We have many users who use Motorola Bitsufr Pros in exactly this
fashion. They have never had this problem. Datapoint.

--
Jeffrey Haas -+- jmh@msen.com -+- http://www.msen.com/~jmh
/\/\sen, Inc. "Michigan's Best Run Internet Service Provider."