Re: (PM) Incorrect Acct-Termination-Cause

Charles Scott (cscott@freeway.net)
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 07:42:25 -0400 (EDT)

Russ:

This is something we noticed a while ago. It was described to me at the
time by Livingston tech support as being correct. What they say is that a
lost connection due to something like pulling the line out of the back of
the user's modem while it's connected results in the telco issuing a
disconnect to the PM. It's as if the user at the other end of the phone
hung up the line. So, it's called a "User-Request" disconnect. I suppose
it's possible that just unplugging the channelized T1 is being considered
somehow the same. I'd sure prefer some other message though.
We were keeping track of the disconnect reasons and I still get the
daily stats from our system that compiles that data. However, I now just
toss it because it's essentially useless. For example, yesterday's data
shows one of our remote POP's with channelized T1 having 985 User-Request
disconnects and only 1 Lost-Carrier, which is hard to belive for users in
a rural area.
So, clearly you can't assume that the "User-Request" disconnect reason
means that the user's system actually requested a disconnect. This got me
into trouble with a customer real quick and I've ignored that data ever
since.
Yes, it would be nice if they'd fix that.

Chuck