Re: (PM) More on 3.8b17 (BETA!)

Florian Lohoff (flo@mini.gt.owl.de)
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 01:35:04 +0200

> On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 07:07:47PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 10:40:20PM -0700, Russ Taylor wrote:
> > > Regardless, the quality control process _should_ normally mean that every
> > > beta gets more stable. It is pretty bizarre that a problem that seems to
> > > affect all PRI users got out of house -- but such things happens. Let's
> > > return to asking when the heck we'll see A) another beta or B) a final
> > > release -- September draws closer.
> >
> > I find another thing ... from beta to beta the problems change
> > but wont get stable. b13 is stable as a rock for me ... since b15 reboots
> > and b17 is even worse with the @! logins and so on ... Feel the other way
> > round.
>
> People, the term "beta", in the software industry, means that IT IS NOT
> READY FOR RELEASE YET! Run it AT YOUR OWN RISK, and don't complain
> publically about any problems it causes you! If you want to help them

I didnt expect it to be stable like a release version, but i expect bugs to
be solved ... And still ... betas are the only way to get features
others have some time.

> debug it, send a bug report to support@livingston.com, with as much
> detail as possible. Traditionally, beta testers are required to make

Did that - No answer. Dont tell me to call ... i am in Europe - this
is a bit a problem.

> reports on the operation of the software... Livingston doesn't require
> this with their open betas, but this sort of bitching and whining puts
> open betas at risk! I wouldn't blame them for requiring authorization
> for betas, given the amount of complaining that is going on with this
> current batch.

> Traditionally, beta software has features frozen, so things generally
> become more stable with each realease, but in this case they needed
> to add V.90 support (a NEW feature) in b15, so it is expected that
> more problems will occur.

> Again, if yout can't deal with unstable software, don't run prerelease
> versions!

I reported the reboot problem to livingston 48 hours after b15 came out
and b17 still contains the bug ... *hmm* ..

Why do i report bugs when they do not get fixed ? - even no communication
to get closer to the bug.

I get more and more the feeling, when leaving the OpenSource sector
you get hopelessly lost, nobody will fix bugs FOR YOU, you have to
do it on your own.

Flo

--
Florian Lohoff		flo@mini.gt.owl.de      	+49-5241-470566