Re: (PM) More on 3.8b17 (BETA!)

Stefan Hudson (hudson@mbay.net)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:01:57 -0700

On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 07:07:47PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 10:40:20PM -0700, Russ Taylor wrote:
> > Regardless, the quality control process _should_ normally mean that every
> > beta gets more stable. It is pretty bizarre that a problem that seems to
> > affect all PRI users got out of house -- but such things happens. Let's
> > return to asking when the heck we'll see A) another beta or B) a final
> > release -- September draws closer.
>
> I find another thing ... from beta to beta the problems change
> but wont get stable. b13 is stable as a rock for me ... since b15 reboots
> and b17 is even worse with the @! logins and so on ... Feel the other way
> round.

People, the term "beta", in the software industry, means that IT IS NOT
READY FOR RELEASE YET! Run it AT YOUR OWN RISK, and don't complain
publically about any problems it causes you! If you want to help them
debug it, send a bug report to support@livingston.com, with as much
detail as possible. Traditionally, beta testers are required to make
reports on the operation of the software... Livingston doesn't require
this with their open betas, but this sort of bitching and whining puts
open betas at risk! I wouldn't blame them for requiring authorization
for betas, given the amount of complaining that is going on with this
current batch.

Traditionally, beta software has features frozen, so things generally
become more stable with each realease, but in this case they needed
to add V.90 support (a NEW feature) in b15, so it is expected that
more problems will occur.

Again, if yout can't deal with unstable software, don't run prerelease
versions!

--
     /// Stefan Hudson <hudson@mbay.net>
__  /// Senior Network Administrator - Monterey Bay Internet