Re: (PM) Feature Request (was SECURITY PROBLEM.) (fwd)

Jeff Haas (jmh@mail.msen.com)
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:56:33 -0400

On Sat, Jul 18, 1998 at 12:50:54PM -0700, Russ Taylor wrote:
> On 7/18/98 12:43 PM, MegaZone (megazone@megazone.org) wrote
> >Why do people who don't understand something always ASSUME it is a bug?
>
> Because most of the industry is now in the habit of referring to bugs as
> "features" or "known issues" or "the way it is supposed to work", so
> people are in the habit of assuming that something that doesn't work the
> way (they think) it should is a bug. Politics of denial :)

I think its more a case of customer expectation.

The CL Admin Guide doesn't say anything about console's and their behaviour
inside of telnet sessions, merely a "S" or "P" port. It doesn't say
anything about the four virtual telnet ports the PM's have nor their
behaviour with the console.

If the behaviour is by design, it should be documented. And while
it might be working as designed, it may not be what the customer wants.

Personally, I'd like to see large chunks of the "console" to be
redesigned to make CLI access a little more pleasant.

--
Jeffrey Haas -+- jmh@msen.com -+- http://www.msen.com/~jmh
/\/\sen, Inc. "Michigan's Best Run Internet Service Provider."