Re: (PM) Two weeks later, and still no working ComOS

Florian Lohoff (flo@mini.gt.owl.de)
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 17:39:09 +0200

On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 10:34:17AM +0200, Blaz Zupan wrote:
> > Youre kidding? Telekom-lines are 100% digital powered. There are many things
> > you can say against Deutsche Telekom, but not about their line quality.
>
> You're kidding, right? You mean 100% digital powered means good quality?
> There are hunderds of ways a digital line can screw you. We have a
> Panasonic local switch (not from the telco) in our company and its 100%
> digital. If I connect an analog modem to that switch I can only connect at
> 26400, no more. 100% pure digital, but only at 26400 ;)

He speaks on German Telekom. I have never ever seen another telco providing
this High-Quality lines. Germany is now fully digital in the switches
and the ISDN part is becoming greater (Already 30-50% here). Most users
get frustated on KFlex/V.90, switch to other providers if available
to insure their invest in new modems is used. Some are switching to ISDN
which costs nearly the same in Germany and ISDN equipment (ISDN Card)
is much cheaper then an analog modem.

> > I have to. Here in the ruhrgebiet-Area there are more than 100 provider
> > fighting for customers.
>
> Don't fight with V.90. Start offering services that others don't have (do
> you offer global roaming f.e.)? Improve the technical support, etc. But
> don't fight with 56K protocols, the only ones who win are the modem
> vendors because they can sell new modems. Everybody else looses over those
> 56K wars until a stable standard is established.

We have a simple problem. We are a non-commercial organizational provider
which is driven by individual organisations in different regions. We are
calculation with a +-0 invest, so every customer we loose means
we are writing red values. We are already offering more service then
others are able to but customers need a stable modem connect first
otherwise they ont be able to use those "extended" services.

Flo

--
Florian Lohoff		flo@mini.gt.owl.de      	+49-5241-470566